Friday, March 8, 2013

Coconut Butter Granola

I love granola and have been making the same granola for a really long time.  When I really love something (like my granola), I sometimes have a hard time trying a new recipe because I know exactly how mine tastes and how much I like eating it (why fix something that isn't broken, right?).  I came across this granola recipe a few days ago and it caught my attention with words like coconut and butter (two things that make me really happy).  I decided it was time to venture out and give a new granola recipe a whirl and I'm so happy that I did!  While I will forever love my granola, this granola has a slightly different texture and a more pronounced coconutty taste (which I love).  While I was mixing it all together, my kitchen smelled delightful (my eleven year old who was hanging out in the kitchen said, "it smells so good in here!") and eating it was even better!



Coconut Granola

2 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup chopped almonds
1 cup unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup coconut butter (make your own, see here)
2 tablespoons coconut oil (measure solid)
2 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

In a large bowl stir together oats, almonds, coconut, ground flaxseed and salt.  In a small saucepan heat honey, coconut butter, coconut oil and butter over low heat, stirring until melted and combined.  Remove from heat and add vanilla; pour butter mixture over oat mixture and stir until combined and equally moistened.

On a large baking sheet, spread the granola evenly in a thin layer.  Bake for 10 minutes, toss and bake 10 minutes more.  Toss again, and then bake for 10 minutes, stirring every 3 minutes until the granola is golden brown.  Let granola cool on the pan for about 1 hour.  Granola may be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.

I ate my granola with Greek Gods Honey Yogurt (which is evil in a it's so creamy and delicious, I can't stop eating it kind of way) and raspberries.

Recipe barely changed from How Sweet It Is

6 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic! I just stumbled upon your blog from Foodgawker. I have a question. I am vegan, can I sub the butter for extra coconut oil or maybe just omit all together? Also, would pure maple syrup work instead of honey? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think substituting coconut oil for the butter would be totally fine and delicious! I also think that you could use maple syrup instead of honey, it would just have a more mapley taste. Let me know how it turns out! Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breanna,thanks for joining the link up for Food on Friday on Carole's Chatter. I hope you enjoyed looking at some of the other links. I have been reading them all and am blown away by all the great ideas! Cheers

    Ps I am signing up to follow your blog. A follow back would be great – or maybe you have already?

    Pps If you would like email reminders of future Food on Fridays, just let me know your email address. It will be kept private.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where do I find the coconut butter recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where do I find the coconut butter recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a link to Edible Perspective next to the listing of coconut butter in the recipe. Hope that helps! :)

      Delete