Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Eggplant Caponata

I don't think that I've ever experienced so many flavor sensations in one bite as I did with this caponata.  It had hints of sweetness, heat, earthiness, tang, and a creamy nuttiness.  It was kind of wild.  I decided it would be better to make for lunch because I had a sneaking suspicion that I might be the only one in my family who'd like it.  I ate my caponata on top of grilled bread and a little ricotta.  It was a definitely a nice change from the usual turkey sandwich or leftovers from dinner kind of lunch.


Eggplant Caponata

1 large or 2 medium eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (4 cups)
3/4 cup Newman's Own Balsamic Dressing
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1/2 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup chopped golden raisins
1 teaspoon chili flakes
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons tomato puree
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
1 baguette sliced

In a large bowl add the eggplant and 1/2 cup of balsamic dressing.  Stir to coat and let sit for 10 minutes.  In a large sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil.  Add onions to sauté pan and cook over medium heat until onions are caramelized.  Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the pine nuts, raisins, and chili flakes to the caramelized onions and stir to combine.  Cook onion mixture for about 3 minutes and then add the eggplant, brown sugar, cinnamon and cocoa powder and continue to sauté until the eggplant begins to soften, about 5 minutes.  Stir in thyme, tomato paste, water, and remaining 1/4 cup dressing.  Cover the pan with a lid and reduce heat to a simmer.  Cook, covered, for 15 minutes.  Add the salt and taste.  Adjust seasonings if necessary.  Serve on slices of a crusty baguette.

*I would halve the recipe next time.  I had more than enough (especially because I was the only one eating it).

Recipe adapted ever so slightly from Not Without Salt

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    An Thái Sơn chia sẻ trẻ sơ sinh nằm nôi điện có tốt không hay võng điện có tốt không và giải đáp cục điện đưa võng giá bao nhiêu cũng như mua máy đưa võng ở tphcm địa chỉ ở đâu uy tín.

    ReplyDelete