Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Mushroom Bread Pudding

I've had this recipe sitting in my "to try" pile for about a year and today was the day, a cold rainy October day.  It was perfectly delicious; warm, comforting and tasted like fall, I felt happiness!


Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding

3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
12 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
Kosher salt and black pepper
1 tablespoon thyme leaves, minced
1 teaspoon minced fresh sage leaves
6 large eggs
3 cups whole milk
1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
1 1-pound loaf rustic artisan bread, cut into 1-inch pieces (I used sourdough)

Position a rack to the center of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees.  Butter 12 individual ramekins or a 2 1/2-3 quart baking dish.

In a large sauté pan, melt the butter with the olive oil over medium-high heat.  Sauté the onions until tender, about 5 minutes.  Add the sliced fresh mushrooms and sauté just until they begin to give off some liquid, about 5 minutes more.  Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and fresh cracked pepper.  Remove from the heat and stir in the fresh herbs.

In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, gruyere, and 1/4 cup parmesan.  Whisk in 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of fresh cracked pepper.  Add the bread cubes and let soak for 10-15 minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed.  Fold in the mushroom mixture.

Turn the bread pudding into the prepared baking dish.  Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese.  Bake uncovered until puffed and golden and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, anywhere from 40-60 minutes depending on the size and depth of your baking dish.  Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.  Garnish with parsley.

*I gave my bread pudding a very light dusting of freshly grated nutmeg before I put it in the oven.

Adapted from Piece of Cake

2 comments:

  1. I made this recipe tonight. It is superb! Omg, it was so good! I wondered at first if three cups of milk might be too much but it was't. I stirred up the mixture in the baking pan about 15 minutes after putting it in the oven. I don't know if that was necessary or not. Also, I used tarragon instead of thyme and sage, as I am not too fond of those two spices. Anyway, it was perfect, Cheesy, mushroomy, carby - the perfect comfort food on this cold night. It's going to be a real keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can i put this together the night before and bake before serving?

    ReplyDelete